I’m ready to quit
It doesn’t matter if this is your first or your 11th quit. With motivation and planning, you can go #TobaccoFree. Learn the health benefits of quitting and browse free resources to help you quit.
Most smokers have thought about quitting smoking. And most people who have ever smoked have quit. Each ex-smoker quits in their own way and two things stand out in the process: motivation and planning. Learn from each quit attempt. Take advantage of free resources to help you quit.
The Health Benefits of Quitting
Within 20 minutes:
- Heart rate and blood pressure drop
- Temperature of hands and feet goes up
Within 8 – 24 hours:
- Carbon monoxide level in blood goes down
- Oxygen level in blood normalizes
- Chance of heart attack decreases
Within 48 – 72 hours:
- Damaged nerve endings start to re-grow
- Sense of smell and taste begin to improve
- Nicotine is completely out of your body
2 weeks to 3 months:
- Improved blood circulation
- Lungs work better
- Exercise gets easier
- Wounds heal faster
1 to 9 months:
- Coughing, shortness of breath, and sinus congestion decrease
- Body’s overall energy level goes up
- Tiny hairs in the lungs (cilia) start to work again, keeping lungs clean. This makes it easier to breathe and lowers your risk of getting sick
- Risk of heart disease is cut by half
- Risk of stroke goes down to the level of someone who has never smoked
- Risk of getting cancer in your mouth, throat, esophagus, or bladder is reduced by half
- Cervical cancer risk falls to that of someone who has never smoked
- Lung cancer risk is cut in half
- Risk of voice box (larynx) and pancreatic cancer goes down
- Risk of heart disease returns to the level of someone who has never smoked
Share + Celebrate Your Quit Journey on Social Media!
Kick It California 1-800-300-8086
Get free, personalized help from a Quit Coach via phone call, text message, or live chat. Previously known as the CA Smokers’ Helpline or 1-800-NO-BUTTS, Kick It California can connect you to local programs and offers the free No Butts + No Vapes mobile apps.
Kick It California – QUIT-SMOKING
Download smokefree mobile apps, sign up for texting programs, chat online with an expert, and build your quit plan.
Smoking Cessation Leadership Center
Tobacco cessation information
Talk to a Quit Coach via phone call, text message, or live chat. Get connected to local programs and download free resources including the No Butts + No Vapes mobile apps.