My Quit Day is Coming
Start your journey to a tobacco-free life today. Write down your reasons to quit, ask your doctor or counselor about quit aids, reach out for support, and create your custom quit plan.
10 tips for starting your tobacco-free journey
1. Pick a Quit Date. Many people choose a day within 2 weeks so they have time to plan. Pick a day that would be relatively stress-free.
2. Call or text Kick It California (formerly known as California Smokers’ Helpline) for free phone counseling. A Quit Coach can help you create a Quit Plan and support you in staying quit.
- Text “QUIT SMOKING” or “QUIT VAPING” to 66819.
- Call 1-800-300-8086.
3. Find out whether nicotine replacement therapy or other quit-smoking aids could work for you. These medications make it easier to quit by reducing nicotine withdrawal symptoms.
- Ask your doctor or call a Quit Coach at 1-800-300-8086.
- Visit NoButts.org to learn about quit aids like nicotine patches, gums, or lozenges that you can buy without a prescription. You may be eligible to have free nicotine patches mailed to your home.
- Learn more about quit smoking aids at Smokefree.gov.
4. Write down your reasons to quit. Examples:
- I want to be healthier.
- I want my lungs to be strong.
- I want my family and pets to be healthier.
- I want to be here for my family and pets.
- I want to save money.
5. Think about why you smoke/vape. What triggers you to pick up a cigarette/vape?
6. Develop your personalized Quit Plan. Use a website or a mobile app.
- Build your Quit Plan at Smokefree.gov.
- Create your plan to quit smoking in the No Butts mobile app.
- Create your plan to quit vaping in the No Vape mobile app.
7. Get support from family and friends. Let them know how they can help you.
8. Remove anything that reminds you of using tobacco: ashtrays, matches, lighters, vapes, pods, and cigarette packs –even empty ones.
9. Wash away the smell from your home and your car. Clean carpets, dry clean curtains, and wipe off windows and walls.
10. Reward yourself when you reach tobacco-free milestones. Celebrate your success – even small victories count.
Share + Celebrate Your Quit Journey on Social Media!
Kick It California 1-800-300-8086
Get free, personalized help from a Quit Coach via phone call, text message, or live chat. Previously known as the CA Smokers’ Helpline or 1-800-NO-BUTTS, Kick It California can connect you to local programs and offers the free No Butts + No Vapes mobile apps.
Download smokefree mobile apps, sign up for texting programs, chat online with an expert, and build your quit plan.
Smoking Cessation Leadership Center
Online tobacco cessation information
Talk to a Quit Coach via phone call, text message, or live chat. Get connected to local programs and download free resources including the No Butts + No Vapes mobile apps.